Five Bodied

Advanced Search

Home Register FAQ Memberlist Usergroups  

Five Bodied Forum Index Out Of This World Useful student's response to language thuggery.
      All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:50 pm
sixbodied
Site Admin

Post subject: Useful student's response to language thuggery. Reply with quote

Guestron wrote:

[A few readers have commented on the Bob Dobbs quote adorning my What People Are Saying section, stating that they are having a bit of difficulty in understanding exactly what the quote means. I myself had to look up many of the words [in the hopes that the quote meant something positive], and so, with dictionary in hand, I have decided to translate the quote into layman's terms for myself and the ease of my audience. To those media students who knew what the quote meant from the get-go you have my admiration.

The original quote:

'Plaza of the Mind is a clinamen away from the holeopathic replay by the Android Meme of the old perceptual agon of electrically-programmed youth confronting the Gutenbergian Establishment. Irresistible Force meets Immovable Object.'

-Bob Dobbs

According to Wikipedia, Clinamen is the name Lucretius gave to the spontaneous microscopic swerving of atoms from a vertical path as they fall (2.216-293). According to Lucretius, there would be no contact between atoms without the clinamen, and so, "No collision would take place and no impact of atom upon atom would be created. Thus nature would never have created anything." This was first described in Epicurian physics.

but more importantly, pertaining to this quote at least, is that:

The term has also been taken up by Harold Bloom to describe the inclinations of writers to "swerve" from the influence of their predecessors; it is the first of his "Ratios of Revision" as described in The Anxiety of Influence.

Holeopathic Replay refers to the exertion of will on the part of the Android Meme, which was represented as an analogy in the trilogy of Matrix films, the idea that past-times become pass-times, causing a sort of mass-hypnosis on the collective unconscious.

An Agon, of course, is the conflict on which a literary work turns.

I assume that I fall into the role of the electrically-programmed youth and that the Gutenbergian Establishment is the role played by the collective unconscious underneath the Android Meme's replay of Visual Space [as made obvious by the proliferation of Barnes and Noble and Borders bookstores over the past decade - to me at least].

And lastly, Irresistible Force meets Immovable Object, pertains [in my interpretation] to the ceaseless bashing of the electrically-programmed youth's head against the wall of the Android Meme.

I want to remind everyone that this is my interpretation of the Dobbs quote and may not reflect the meaning that he was attempting to convey. If anyone else would like to share their interpretation, I invite them to do so.]

Bob Dobbs

Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:15 am
revchuckkey

Post subject: Reply with quote

according to Wikipedia, you're not worth mentioning, and many in your camp say they're "wrong". Does that mean that THIS information is also bunk?

Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:50 pm
sixbodied
Site Admin

revchuckkey wrote:
according to Wikipedia, you're not worth mentioning, and many in your camp say they're "wrong". Does that mean that THIS information is also bunk?

BOB: No.

Bob Dobbs

Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:38 pm
convulsionaire

Post subject: A coincidence! Reply with quote

guestron wrote:

Holeopathic Replay refers to the exertion of will on the part of the Android Meme, which was represented as an analogy in the trilogy of Matrix films, the idea that past-times become pass-times, causing a sort of mass-hypnosis on the collective unconscious.

The expiration of Neo's passport coincided with the demolition of the world trade center:
http://img141.imageshack.us/my.php?image=12665matrix22jpgnl8.jpg

"on silver mount zion 
all buried in ruins 

we was dancing the hora
until we vomited blood"

-A Silver Mount Zion, Movie (Never Made) 1999
harp money"

Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:33 pm
octavian

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_beetle

Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:09 pm
Conditional_ID

Post subject: only one comment Reply with quote

Within the Irresistable Force/Immovable Object construct, we each are part and parcel of one or the other, not both, as long as the android meme remains in effect.

I identify, for example, with the Immovable Object. To me it expresses the fundamentally feminine, all loving Mother Goddess, and all manifestations of the Mother Goddess. It is that to which my spirit will gravitate given the choice.

Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:15 pm
tater

revchuckkey wrote:

Well, sir, Tater thinks most of this stuff is bunk. Some might call it performance art. But is defacin Wikipedia articles worthy of bein called art? Tater says no. Too lowbrow.

Tater

Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:37 pm
sixbodied
Site Admin

tater wrote:
revchuckkey wrote:

Well, sir, Tater thinks most of this stuff is bunk. Some might call it performance art. But is defacin Wikipedia articles worthy of bein called art? Tater says no. Too lowbrow.

Tater

BOB: Say "yo" to Tater, bots.

It's been reported to me that Tater is a prolific poster at alt.slack - I wouldn't know since only my staff monitors it and posts on my behalf.

Tater has created this archive (which includes stories about "Bob Dean" whom none of us around 5b have ever met and have no knowledge of):

http://www.kernsholler.net/Stories/Stories.html

Tater has defected to 5b because he's sick of the monotone that surrounds alt.slack.

So let's encourage him to feel at school here.

Meanwhile, addressing his first post, I would open with:

What the fuck is "performance art"? Personally, I perform at a higher level than anyone on the "planet" - including President Barack Obama who, alongside of me, looks like a slacker in the style of Glow*.

And, secondly, what I do can in no way be considered "art"!

*By the way, Tater, here's Glow's output:

http://fivebodied.com/viewtopic.php?t=2810

Remember, Tater, there is only one rule here at 5b: THERE ARE NO RULES!!

Bob Dobbs

Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:58 am
~Foo Fighter~

fivebodied wrote:

Tater has created this archive (which includes stories about "Bob Dean" whom none of us around 5b have ever met and have no knowledge of):

Bob Dobbs

WHo the fuck is Bob Dean?

Robert Lees

[Definition: Android Meme - Automated self-replicating unit of cultural transmission; machines communicating with machines.]

Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:53 pm
sixbodied
Site Admin

~Foo Fighter~ wrote:
fivebodied wrote:

Bob Dobbs

WHo the fuck is Bob Dean?

BOB: Exactly... word out.

Bob Dobbs

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.