Five Bodied

Advanced Search

Home Register FAQ Memberlist Usergroups  

Five Bodied Forum Index Five Bodied (A)Wake Savoury Silence
      All times are GMT - 5 Hours  

Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:09 pm
Ad Absurdum

Post subject: Savoury Silence Reply with quote

Brief though it was, I enjoyed Colbert's silence Wednesday night, in his last segment before Benedict's resignation the next afternoon, at the end of an exhange that began when he asked his guest Paula Antonelli (a Senior Curator of Architecture and Design at MOMA):

"SC: Where we now? Are we modern, are we postmodern, or are we prefuture?

PA: We are post-post-postmodern present, pre-future but a little bit of future today, with history that comes with us.

SC: Wow. This is a complicated artistic time to live in.

PA: No no no it's very very very easy, just be yourself-- you know, what they told me when I came here: just be yourself, be in the moment and that's really how you are.

SC: So I should just be myself right now

PA: Be yourself, be in the moment, you're gonna be modern."

... Not only was she expressing a philosophy (or opinion of a current-weather report) of Art that is the opposite of what Colbert is the (exoteric) master of, but her statements seem like they could be reasonably described as 'iONic'... or 'iONish', at least. There was an obvious excess of possible responses (which her smile ably acknowledged), so he just changed the subject after a delicious pause.

But seriously, I don't know: is it fair to think of her statement as 'iONic'?

Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:06 pm
Linus Minimax

Post subject: Be sure......... Reply with quote

There's a great story in Dan Millman's Sacred Journey of the Peaceful Warrior where he's traveled to Hawaii to meet a particular shaman, but the only directions he's been given say to leave by raft from a certain beach at a certain time, ending with "Be sure........."

After a few days on the raft, shadeless, his puny food and water rations long gone, wondering how he could have been so stupid as to have such faith so easily, he finally washes up on a beach where the shaman is waiting to meet him. I don't remember if he had enough energy to be furious before she asked why he hadn't followed the directions; turns out that "Be sure........." was the beginning of a sentence continued on side two: "......... to bring enough food and water for three days, [etc.]"

She wanted to teach him some sort of faith-lesson about reliable currents, but he arranged a much more deeply probing initiation for himself!

Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:23 pm
Ad Absurdum

Post subject: Mr. Tangerine Man, uncut (anagram not intended) Reply with quote

"Tangerine" is extra-perfect because that's the unsatisfying punchline from the Flaming Lips' 'Vaseline' (((I once wrote a better verse that ended with "gasoline"))), and I've sung 'Fight Test' many a time without being aware of the very close resemblance to Cat Stevens' 'Father And Son' (((I assume the 'coincidence' is intentional; Wayne Coyne's hair is even the same!)))

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q29YR5-t3gg[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EbrMAZbFpo[/youtube]
Three cheers for folks who change their name when appropriate!!!

(((Salman Rushdie may be right about Cat Stevens not being around anymore, but I hope it breaks his heart to say it, because otherwise he doesn't really know what he's talking about)))

Speaking of 'Savoury Silence', here's my favourite Leonard Cohen song, a rare glimpse of 'the Dobbs Quadrant':

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQe88ybEIe8[/youtube]