Advanced Search

Home Register FAQ Memberlist Usergroups  

Five Bodied Forum Index Five Bodied (A)Wake Julian Jaynes and the Breakdown
      All times are GMT - 5 Hours  

Fri May 23, 2014 7:44 am
~Foo Fighter~

Post subject: Julian Jaynes and the Breakdown Reply with quote

Bob,
I stopped reading Julian Jaynes "The Origin of Conciousness and the Breakdown of the Bi-Cameral Mind" as I thought it became absurd. I really lliked the begining conversation about conciousness and how we think about thinking but then it went south.

What do you think of this. Coud it be said that speech is a technology so ancient that it's hardwired into the human brain? Compared to writing which humans have been doing for thousands of years, yet it's still not "hardwired" into our brains.

So it seemd to me that the changes to human brains Jaynes suggests happend way quickly to be taken seriously.

Then he goes on to use the bi-cameral mind and the broken down bi-cameral mind to answer any and EVERY archeological and anthropological question out there.

So I stopped reading and couldn't continue.

Robert Lees

[Definition: Android Meme - Automated self-replicating unit of cultural transmission; machines communicating with machines.]

Wed May 28, 2014 3:21 am
bodylogic

Post subject: Re: Julian Jaynes and the Breakdown Reply with quote

~Foo Fighter~ wrote:
Bob,
I stopped reading Julian Jaynes "The Origin of Conciousness and the Breakdown of the Bi-Cameral Mind" as I thought it became absurd. I really lliked the begining conversation about conciousness and how we think about thinking but then it went south.

What do you think of this. Coud it be said that speech is a technology so ancient that it's hardwired into the human brain? Compared to writing which humans have been doing for thousands of years, yet it's still not "hardwired" into our brains.

So it seemd to me that the changes to human brains Jaynes suggests happend way quickly to be taken seriously.

Then he goes on to use the bi-cameral mind and the broken down bi-cameral mind to answer any and EVERY archeological and anthropological question out there.

So I stopped reading and couldn't continue.

speech is an ancient technology that is hardwired

gutteral language was a precursor to advanced language and sophistication like metaphors that enabled a sense of relation and a self of individual consciousness itself...

pretty basic stuff foo.