Five Bodied

Advanced Search

Home Register FAQ Memberlist Usergroups  

Five Bodied Forum Index Audio Archives Bob's Media Ecology (1992)
      All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Goto page 1, 2  Next

Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:04 pm
monsquaz

Post subject: Bob's Media Ecology (1992) Reply with quote

http://www.discogs.com/release/355558

Hand Signals for the Blind

Click on a link to stream a track. View its page source and do a text search for .mp3 to find a link to download from.

1. Everything's Disappeared (4:14)
2. Our Electric Paralysis (0:29)
3. Bob's Auditory Imagination (2:03)
4. Under The Sun (0:20)
5. Ba Ba Ba Ba Bobby (1:08)
6. Thick Ideas (0:22)
7. Banker Bob (1:13)
8. Everything's Disappeared (The Illusion Mix) (3:39)
9. The Wizard Of Ecology (3:15)
10. Grammar Rap (3:42)
11. Mediamystycally Yrs (0:56)
12. Bob's Historical Decorum (4:49)
13. Shopping In A Military Operation (1:44)
14. Bob's Theme (2:28)
15. The International Connection (5:58)
16. Another Electric Peep-Show (3:29)
17. Breakdown As Breakthrough (0:44)
18. Inside The Five Sense Sensorium (2:30)
19. The Xists Have Landed (1:57)
20. Mass Man (3:16)
21. Discarnate WoMan (4:42)
22. One Wheel, All Square (1:11)
23. Human Scale (3:44)
24. Masturbation: The Thinking Man's Television (0:47)
25. Everything's Disappeared (Tribal Truce Mix) (3:02)
26. Media Fit The Battle Of Jericho (2:52)
27. Escape Hatches (3:22)
28. New Animals Waving Goodbye (Mythic Stage Mix) (4:06)
29. The Solar Govemment Global Theatre (0:56)
30. The Story Begins When The Program Ends (0:20)

(1:13:18)

Download through Rapidshare

Last edited by monsquaz on Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:38 pm; edited 12 times in total

Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:34 am
monsquaz

Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about 1/4 finished with the transcribing. I've got a program to slow down the audio so it's easier to catch everything, but it's still a heavily involved process and easily discouraging, especially for a novice like myself.

Monsquaz

Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:40 pm
sixbodied
Site Admin

monsquaz wrote:
I'm about 1/4 finished with the transcribing. I've got a program to slow down the audio so it's easier to catch everything, but it's still a heavily involved process and easily discouraging, especially for a novice like myself.

Monsquaz

I can dig it, and I hope you keep at it.

Bob Dobbs

Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:54 pm
octavian

Post subject: Bob's Media Ecology Reply with quote

What's the distribution policy on this audio? Can I freely share this with others?

Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:16 pm
monsquaz

Should be OK. Bob seems to give it his approval. It's out of print, of course, and the label, DOVe, is defunct, but Time Again was a Nelson Thall outfit. I'd think that's long gone, too; but we'll have to wait and see if Thall notices or even cares now.

Monsquaz

Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:35 pm
monsquaz

By the way, Bob, I think I've read you saying something about an album Dave Newfeld did similar to BME using McLuhan audio in 1994. I seemed to have found that at random on Soulseek just this month and downloaded it. It was called The Medium is the Message, and posed a whole lot of similarities to BME, and included a song called "Newfeld's Theme," which makes it a dead ringer.

Can you tell me a bit more about it, so I can dedicate a full topic to it? Google is skimpy on the details.

Monsquaz

Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:24 pm
sixbodied
Site Admin

monsquaz wrote:
Should be OK. Bob seems to give it his approval. It's out of print, of course, and the label, DOVe, is defunct, but Time Again was a Nelson Thall outfit. I'd think that's long gone, too; but we'll have to wait and see if Thall notices or even cares now.

Monsquaz

BOB: Since it's not my album, I'm not authorized to grant anything about its distribution. But I heard years ago that both albums were circulating on the Web. I don't know what Thall thinks about that - never discussed it with him. You guys are on your own as to what you do with them.

Bob Dobbs

Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:13 am
sixbodied
Site Admin

monsquaz wrote:
By the way, Bob, I think I've read you saying something about an album Dave Newfeld did similar to BME using McLuhan audio in 1994. I seemed to have found that at random on Soulseek just this month and downloaded it. It was called The Medium is the Message, and posed a whole lot of similarities to BME, and included a song called "Newfeld's Theme," which makes it a dead ringer.

Can you tell me a bit more about it, so I can dedicate a full topic to it? Google is skimpy on the details.

Monsquaz

BOB: From what I've gleaned from Thall and Newfeld, between Dec. '90 and late '93 or early '94, Dave Newfeld was successively contracted to make 3 albums for Nelson Thall. Not all 3 at the beginning, but the success of BME1 led serendipitously (for Newfeld) to BME2, and then to the McLuhan album. Thall dreamed their existence and Newfeld manifested his wishes and was remunerated accordingly by Thall. For me, they're all the product of Dave's imagination with a few peripheral suggestions from Nelson thrown in.

I personally, if I had produced the albums back then, would have done them a lot differently, I suppose. For example, the phrase "everything's disappeared" would not have been presented as an ideology that I promoted or believed in. I would've presented it as the forlorn complaint by an advertising executive.

And Negativland's contribution to BME2 was a gross misinterpretation of my attitude to TV. I regard their offering as a satirical response to Newfeld's interpretation of my radio work. It is relatively funny in that context. I know Belanger considers Negativland as gross wimps in how they covered their asses once they were paid by Thall. According to Gerry, Negativland was not duped. I wasn't privy to what actually happened but Belanger used to have a website where he gave his side on the making of the albums. I don't know where it is now. I remember he had misinterpreted my role on that website. I don't know why he did. He kept me relatively informed of his early involvement in the packaging and distribution of BME while presenting some of my stuff in his new HYPE magazine in late '91/early '92. I figured he knew I had nothing to do with Dave's work. Maybe Gerry assumed I was involved (he was very young at the time and perhaps Thall kept him at arm's length). I know that BME1 arrived in Thall's office from the factory on April 22. I heard later Thall was not happy with how Gerry promoted the album and formed Time Again Productions to take over the distribution of both BME albums and then the McLuhan effort. But I was not in Toronto during that transition and only heard hearsay from the respective individuals involved.

However, in early '93 Nelson asked me to produce the video for the song, "Everything's Disappeared." I did that without any payment from Thall. I took the opportunity to put my charts into the video. Two versions were made.

On the weekend they were completed, COSG member Michael Townsend (I think that's his name) who had a SubGenie show (called Dad's New Slacks) in Portland, Maine, contacted me at the video production studio and subsequently interviewed me that evening. In LA, 3 or 4 months later, while staying at Gerry Fialka's in Venice, Calif., Gerry played me Stang's response to Townsend's show which had included his interview with me. On that particular Hour of Slack, Stang said he had been swearing at the sky every morning since he had heard of BME1 in the spring of '92. But once he had heard my buoyant attitude about the whole controversy and Townsend's appeal to Stang to accept the album, Stang relaxed and vowed never to think of or acknowledge me again. Townsend and I had finally given him SLACK on the Thall project (although Stang thought I had maneuvered Thall into making the album - little did he know, ha!). One can get that particular HOS, I assume - it would be sometime in the Spring of '93. Check it out. It's a sublime hoot.

And the video is a classic. Thall should put it "up" on YouTube.

Now, mons, you've listened to a lot of me this summer. I would like to hear what you've gotten out of my take on the circumstances surrounding your life.

Bob Dobbs

Last edited by sixbodied on Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:41 am
octavian

monsquaz wrote:

Monsquaz

Monsquaz,

FYI, the set of tapes I was given consisted of the following, and I assume that's how they were circulating back in the mid 1990's:

Tape 1:
A. The Medium is the Message (which sounds alot like BME)
B. BME1

Tape 2:
A. BME1
B. BME2

Tape 3:
A. BME2
B. Phychic TV - 23 Human Thighbones

Hope this helps you narrow your search.

Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:28 am
SE7EN

World Series Fuck Stick wrote:
I suck even more now

I told you I was ahead on points.

Paul

Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:59 pm
SE7EN

SE7EN wrote:
I suck even more now

I told you I was ahead on points.

Paul

No, you told ME that, lieboy. Falling for forgers, are we? lol

I meant to do that. I'm just giving you content for Stang.

Paul

Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:03 am
Wombaticus Rex

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR MAKING THIS AVAILABLE

I only been looking for this for five years now.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Goto page 1, 2  Next